If you are shopping for a shoulder holster or holster of any kind, you have many different choices. There are several different designs and materials from which to choose.
Your final decision will depend on several factors – specific needs, personal preferences, and budget. The wearer also needs to consider the type of firearm he intends on holstering. These items are made to suit specific gun types. One size does not fit all.
Table of contents
- Shoulder Holster Benefits
- Potential Disadvantages
- Shoulder Holster Materials
- Top Selling Shoulder Holsters
- Important Considerations
- Making Your Holster Choice
- Related Posts
Shoulder Holster Benefits
The benefits of shoulders holsters are what attract gun owners to this particular style.
Some of the top advantages include:
- Sitting or driving – Fast and easy access to your firearm while in a sitting position. This is particularly important to consider if your daily activities involve you wearing some kind of seat belt. A shoulder holster still allows fast access even with a seat belt fastened in place.
- Inconspicuous – You can grab hold of your weapon in a far more inconspicuous way. It is, therefore, easier to get a strong grip on your gun before revealing it and/or your intentions in a potentially dangerous or unpredictable situation. Being the fastest draw makes a difference!
- Back Pressure – Your firearm might not seem all that heavy, but it can place a substantial amount of pressure on your back. This pressure and weight are emphasized even further if you carry your gun for several hours each day. By using shoulder holster, your lower back is relieved of this pressure, and excess weight is not constantly tugging on your belt.
- Ease of Use – This item accommodates your gun and ammunition and makes it easier and faster to slip on than those that require the use of a belt. By carrying extra magazines or something useful of similar weight, you can balance out the weight of the gun so that you don’t feel “lopsided” or off balance.
When deciding between different gun holsters, both the pros and cons need to be considered to ensure the wearer makes an informed decision. Some of the main drawbacks include:
- Keep Concealed – The wearer will need to cover the holster with an additional garment. However, this can be said for most (if not all) holsters.
- Fast Draw – A holster worn around the belt offers a faster draw, but this does not take into account other factors such as the way in which a shoulder holster allows the wearer to access their weapon in a more inconspicuous manner. Your decision also depends on the type of clothing you are wearing. For example, if you are wearing a zipped-up jacket in winter, a shoulder holster will allow for quicker access.
- Direction – This type of gun holster sometimes points the gun at objects behind you. This could prove to be a safety issue. That said, the direction in which your gun is pointing (even in a belt holster) can be altered or shifted depending on your stance and if you accidentally bump into somebody.
Shoulder Holster Materials
Because of its critical function, the best materials should be used. Durability is a crucial factor that helps ensure safety and value. For this reason, manufacturers choose materials that meet stringent standards.
One of the most popular materials is leather, and this has been the case for many years. Leather holsters come in various styles and colors.
Ballistic nylon is popular because of its comfort and durability, and certain molded plastics (like Kydex) are rugged yet cost-effective. We also have a good article on making a Kydex holster.
Top Selling Shoulder Holsters
There are many retail options for shoulder holsters. In addition to the options listed below, there are also custom options from small businesses at these stores.
Deluxe Universal Horizontal Shoulder Holster
This product is designed for comfort and versatility from a practical standpoint. It is fully adjustable and suitable for both left- and right-handed users. In addition, the soft lining of this PVC holster ensures that your firearm will not be damaged and is kept securely in place.
In terms of the price, it is an affordable option.
According to customer reviews, the adjustability makes it comfortable to wear, and, at just 12 ounces, it is lightweight.
On the downside, customers have noted that the shoulder padding does not extend to cover the area where the straps meet at the back, and this can cause some discomfort.
VISM Ambidextrous Horizontal Shoulder Holster
This holster can be adjusted to suit left- and right-handed users. It is fully adjustable with a double magazine harness attached to the saddle.
For added security, it is fitted with double thumb break snaps. This item usually retails for less than $20, making it highly affordable, and it is lightweight at less than 9 ounces.
The PVC material from which this product is made keeps it as lightweight as possible without sacrificing durability.
This is a comfortable holster, but it is sometimes tough to adjust. It should also be mentioned that this one is not suitable for larger handguns. Also, users need to feed the trigger guard, or the gun will not be properly seated.
GameFace SAH03 AirSoft Shoulder Holster With Magazine Pouch And Belt Straps
When choosing a gun holster for your handgun, it is important to take your time and consider all of your options. Even if you have a strict budget, spending a bit more for a superior product with added benefits could be worth it. These are some points to consider:
- Comfort – Try the product on and move around to feel just how comfortable it is.
- Safety – Make sure that the holster protects your handgun when you are inserting or removing it. It should never result in the accidental movement of the hammer, release of the safety mechanism or accidental trigger.
- Gun Model – The product you choose should be compatible for your specific make and model gun.
- Protection – It should protect the wearer by preventing anyone other than him or her from removing their gun. There are many holsters that have hidden retention devices for this exact reason, but these are often custom made for the particular type of gun.
- Concealment – Ensure that your holster and gun are easy to conceal beneath an additional item of clothing.
- Damage – It should not cause any damage to the gun.
- Access – The wearer should have fast, easy access to their firearm.
- Durable – The holster must be made from a durable material.
- Rigid – Choose a rigid holster for speedy reholstering of your gun. Flexible ones will require the use of two hands to reholster.
- Adjustment – Various parts of the holster should provide means for adjustment in order to ensure the perfect fit.
Making Your Holster Choice
With so many different products on the market, choosing the perfect holster might seem challenging. However, provided you take the points mentioned above into consideration, it can be less complicated than you think.
If there is ever any doubt, it might be best to try the item before buying. It is also a good idea to look into the possibility of a money-back guarantee or exchange policy just in case you are not entirely happy with your purchase.
While the price is usually one of the most significant points, many will argue that you cannot put a price on quality, comfort, and safety. The safety of the wearer and those around them should be the top priority.