Making a taser can be interesting, and it’s an excellent way to learn about electricity and circuitry.
This project is often assigned in beginner engineering courses. However, the parts can be found in different gadgets, refurbished devices, or second-hand tasers.
These instructions are accessible, use easy-to-find parts, and will not take you days to complete.
Table of contents
Instructions for a Homemade Taser
Below are several DIY taser projects. All projects are for educational purposes only.
When handling electricity, you should consult a professional. Electricity can cause serious harm and potentially be lethal.
BBQ Lighter Tasers
How to Construct the BBQ Lighter Tasers
Items Needed: Barbecue lighter, Scissors, Duct Tape, Ordinary Pen
Time Needed: 30 Mins.
- Dismantle the lighter and pen. Remove all tape and screws on the lighter so it can be opened safely.
- Locate & Prepare the Lighter Cables. Locate the small black container that holds the two cables. These are what create the spark in the lighter. Cut these wires, so they are the same length as the pen. The small metal ends of the wires should be slightly longer than the pen. Remove the plastic insulation off the top of the two cables by an inch or less.
- Prepare the Button. Stretch the two cables, so they are facing away from the button of the black container you extracted from the lighter. When you need to use the tasers, you will press the button as you do with a pen.
- Prepare the Pen. Dismantle the pen, so you only have the casing or tube left.
- Combine the Lighter and Pen. Attach the black container and wires to the pen with duct tape. The wires should run along with the pen, so the two metal ends of the wire hang over the end of the pen but are not touching.
- Complete DIY Lighter Tasers. The taser button will be where the original pen’s button was located. You will depress this button just like you would the pens. The electricity is not very high voltage, so that the shock will be moderate.
Review the video below for an excellent visual description of the instructions above.
Disposable Camera Taser
How to Construct a Disposable Camera Taser
This next project is more advanced. It doesn’t just use the tiny electrical parts of a lighter but several camera components.
This taser does not use alternating current and can be deadly, so consult a professional.
Disposable cameras contain a value capacitor, or a “super cap,” meaning they can store a high voltage charge so that the camera produces a bright flash.
If you press the capture button, you’ll hear the snap inside. That sound is the capacitor charging up. This makes them suitable for homemade tasers.
Items Needed: Camera, Wire, Duct Tape, Velcro, Screwdriver
Time Needed: 1 Hour
- Disassemble the Camera. Remove paper and open the camera. Keep in mind that if you try to disguise the taser to look like a camera, it will fool anybody, so don’t leave it where anyone has access to it. Remove the battery and DON’T touch the circuit board.
- Discharge the Capacitor. Use an insulated screwdriver to touch the “Super Cap” or end of the capacitor. When you see sparks and hear a pop, then the energy is released.
- Disassemble Circuit Board. Remove the circuit board and take the flash box off the circuit board. Double-check that the capacitor is discharged.
- Attach the Wires to the Capacitor. Remove the top plastic insulator and wrap the exposed ends of your two wires around the capacitor. The two wires should NOT touch each other. The two wires should protrude from where you used to have the flash box.
- Secure the Wires. Tape the wires tightly to the sides of the camera with the ends of the wires exposed. This is what will shock intruders. Don’t touch the wires.
- Test the Taser. Place a battery in the camera and hold the button. Hold the wire ends to an inanimate object like a (metal or plastic). As you hold the button, you will see sparks and hear a popping noise.
- Creating the Case. Use a bright color that warns of danger. Use velcro to make a sticking flap around the exposed wires. A good idea is also to make a small attached battery holder. The battery should always be removed when not in use.
The video below provides a good visualization of the process above.
Bug Zapper Taser
How to Construct a Bug Zapper Taser
The bug zapper I’m using looks like a tennis racket. They use electricity to zap insects, and we are interested in the handle.
Items Needed: Bug Zapper, Screw Driver, Electrical Tap, Hot Glue/Gun
Time Needed: 1 Hour
- Dismantle the Racket. Remove the battery before starting. Remove the screws to open the handle and removed the head of the racket. Disconnect the two wires that are attached to the head of the racket. You can throw the head away.
- Prepare the Wires. Tie together the two wires you disconnected from the head of the racket. Use pliers to expose the third wire. It will be a different color – maybe red or black. Tie each exposed wire around a long nail.
- Prepare the Nails. Glue the nails to the inside of the handle and screw the handle back together. The nails should be pointing away from the handle.
- Replace the batteries. Once the batteries are replaced, the electricity is active. There is no on or off switch.
- Test the Zapper Taser. Test this taser as the tasers in the other projects were tested.
The video below provides a good demonstration of the process above.
A Few Words of Caution
Tasers, including the DIY tasers in these projects, are not toys. Seek a professional and consider purchasing a taser if you have no experience constructing them yourself.
Check the laws and regulations in your country, state, or region. Some of these devices may be illegal.
Keep these items away from children and animals. It’s best to keep the taser in a case with the battery removed when you are not using it.
Finally, don’t play with tasers. These tasers may use a constant current, which can cause permanent damage to your body and be lethal.
Taser & Stun Gun Options
If DIY is not your thing, below are several tasers and stun guns from The Home Security Store.
The Home Security Store has good products and excellent customer service at reasonable prices.
Streetwise S.M.A.C.K. Keychain Stun Gun
Jolt Tactical Rechargeable Stun Gun Flashlight
TASER Pulse Subcompact Shooting Stun Gun